1. When landing not at a takeoff airfield, the airfield pressure should be set on the altimeter.
2. Stop fuel balancing operation (if on) by setting CROSSFEED switch to OFF.
3. Check that hydraulic system pressure is within 2800 to 3200 psi.
4. Decrease flight speed up to 300 KIAS and check engine aux intake door position at altitude less than 3000 ft – OPEN.
Landing approach and landing
1. Set speed to 300 KIAS and get to altitude of 1500 feet 3 miles before runway leading edge. Set a predetermined course corresponding a landing course on the horizontal situation indicator.
2. Having flown above a runway with landing course at altitude of 1500 feet, start turning to the reverse landing course at speed of 300 KIAS keeping the altitude of 1500 feet
3. Set flap thumb switch on right engine throttle to AUTO position. At the same time flap lever has to be set to THUMB SW position (center position). Set throttles so as to ensure decrease to 260 KIAS.
4. Extend gear. Gear lever to LG DOWN position.
5. Check green lights illumination indicating the landing is on downlock.
6. Retard throttles to decelerate to 165 knots and keep the altitude of 1500 feet. Use speed brakes if necessary by setting speed brake switch located on throttle to OUTER position . Control wing flap extension with help of FULL indicator and visually.
7. Carry out turning to the landing course at the altitude of 1500 feet and at 165 KIAS.
8. After turning to landing course, begin descent at speed of 1000 feet/min. Decrease engine speed so that the speed is 145 KIAS. At the same time angle-of-attack indicator has to be within 3 o’clock mark and green symbol (circle) on angle-of-attack indicator illuminated.
ATTENTION. Always control the direction to a runway (it’s necessary to descend strictly in line with a runway), direction deflection has to be corrected immediately by course correction. Descend to the beginning of a runway.
9. When approaching the beginning of a runway, vertical speed decreases to 400 feet/min. At the flare altitude (approximately 20 feet) perform flare by pulling control lever so that the aircraft is above a runway at the altitude of 2 to 3 feet without vertical speed. Smoothly decrease speed to idle and at runway approach, take landing attitude necessary for soft landing on two main wheels at speed of 135 KIAS.
10. Smoothly lower the nose wheel, apply drag chute. Begin braking procedure depending on runway length left. Antiskid device is not installed in the aircraft and in case of skid, release brakes, align the aircraft and then continue braking.
11. If proceeding to go-around, increase the speed to maximum (afterburner). If the speed is more than 160 KIAS stop descending.
12. Retract landing gear. Gear lever to upper position.If the speed continues to increase, begin climbing.
WARNING! If the remaining fuel level is more than 1000 pounds, add 1 KIAS per each 200 pounds. If the guns are fully loaded, increase the speed by 5 KIAS.
Formula to calculate runway approach speed depending on weight and ammo:
Vapproach=145+5(if there is gun ammo)+(fuel remaining -1000)/200
EXAMPLE. If there are full gun ammo and fuel level of 3000 pounds, increase the speed by 15 KIAS. I.е. Speed before turning to landing course has to be 180 KIAS. Glide path speed has to be 160 KIAS.
Back to checklist selection